Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Peanut Butter Bars

I really like to have something sweet squirreled away at home or else I end up a little sad, seeing the endless parade of tasty-looking desserts that I can't eat at work.

I have a weakness for the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, especially when oats are involved.  It's hard to keep peanut butter bars and no-bake oatmeal cookies around the house--they mysteriously disappear out of the freezer.  I just tell myself that oats and peanut butter are healthy...right?

I was thrilled to find this recipe for peanut butter bars on Whisk: a food blog.  I followed Recipe 2 almost as written, mostly just halving the recipe and substituting peanut butter for some of the light corn syrup.  Here is the ingredient list for half the recipe:

1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup AND 2 tablespoon peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups gluten free oats, regular or quick cooking, uncooked
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter

Follow the directions for Recipe 2. Use an 8x8" pan.  Only bake for 12 minutes instead of 15.  The base will not look cooked at that time.  It's ok. I cut the pan into 18 bars.

    Based on my experience I would store these in the fridge--in the freezer they get too hard and discolor a little.  These were super popular with everyone that tried them, so easy to make, and a perfect cool summer treat.  They are my new favorite gluten free treat.  Jon thinks they are tie for first place with our brownies.

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails