Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pica Pica Maize Kitchen

In San Francisco an all gluten-free restaurant opened recently, Pica Pica Maize Kitchen. They make 'sandwiches' using arepas and cornbread for the bread. It's more of a Latin-Californian fusion restaurant than an authentic Venezuelan It's in the Mission, so parking is terrible--take the Bart or the Muni if you can.

"It almost seems like more of a takeout place--there is a tiny ledge and a few seats. As a gluten free person, it's great that everything they make is gluten free. I do love the idea of eating a sandwich. In reality while the ingredients were good, there was too much filling so you couldn't really eat it as a sandwich. (I had an arepa with pulled pork, a piece of avocado and some other stuff. It was good but way too much food.) I pulled it apart and ate it like two open face sandwiches. We also ordered yucca fries with that. While the fries were good, the starchiness of the arepas plus the fries was just too much. I'd get one or the other.

I'm sure I'll come again as it *can be* reasonable healthy food and is healthy and is very gluten free."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails