Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Menu Plan for week of July 18, 2010


We've been doing a lot of complicated cooking lately, so I'm keeping it pretty simple this week--mostly salads and leftovers.  It's also my birthday this week, so I want to leave plenty of time and energy to bake a cake.  I thought this year I'd try to bake an angel food cake as I am huge fan and it seems like it should convert fairly well to gluten free.  Last year I made tiramisu (pictured above), even making my own lady fingers.  There may have been a few tears involved. :)

This is part of Menu Plan Mondays, hosted by Beyond Rice and Tofu this week.  The theme this week is cucumbers which I love but we aren't really eating this week except in a salad.  Oddly enough my identical twin sister hates them--one of the few food tastes we don't share.  I especially love them stir-fried, in salads, and quick pickled as is often done in Japanese and other Asian cuisines like Thai and Vietnamese.  


Here's our plan for this week:

BAKE: angel food cake, sour cream coffee cake
We have a lot of Mexican crema and Pamela's baking mix to use up, so the sour cream coffee cake from A Year of Slow Cooking sounds intriguing.  I might just bake it in our oven, though.  I've borrowed her cookbook from the library and it has the full recipe.

Angel food cake: try Hey That Tastes Good or Gluten Free Mommy versions.

SUNDAY
grilled shrimp, Caprese salad, cornbread

MONDAY
grilled salad with chickpeas, cornbread?
salad:
  1. Grill corn, eggplant, and summer squash (probably patty pan) and then cut into dice.
  2. Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.
  3. Halve some cherry tomatoes and cut up half an avocado.
  4. Make a lemon or red wine vinaigrette.
  5. Mix everything together.
TUESDAY
My birthday :)
Hawaiian gluten free pizza from Z pizza, homemade green salad, homemade angel food cake

green salad: baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell pepper with a red wine vinaigrette.

WEDNESDAY
chicken adobo, rice, green beans

THURSDAY
Doña Maria (out for our favorite Mexican food)

FRIDAY
leftovers OR black beans and rice OR quesadillas, leftover veg

I'll end up with leftover cakes and whole milk mozzarella cheese to use up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The grilled salad with chickpeas sounds good. We've been doing a grilled salad this summer, but I like the addition of chickpeas and eggplant to the mix. The first eggplants were at the farmer's market this weekend. Never tried stir frying cucumbers. The garden is starting to produce more than I can use in salads, so that may be my next strategy.

Cheryl said...

well, have a fantastic birthday!! I haven't made angel food lately and it sounds great

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails